- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or sliced frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar and oil. Add egg, mix well. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in the rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- For topping, in a bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut with a serrated knife.