Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

I have been searching for THE carbonara recipe. I love pasta. I love bacon. Pasta with bacon? Um, yes please. My issue has always been the texture of the sauce seeming more like scrambled eggs instead of pasta sauce. I think that I solved my problem tonight... I used this recipe as my guide but made some modifications to get the creamy sauce I was searching for.

Ingredients:

1/2 Tbsp olive oil or unsalted butter
6 oz pancetta or thick cut bacon, diced
1-2 garlic cloves, minced, about 1 teaspoon (optional)
1-2 whole eggs
1 cup (or more) grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound spaghetti pasta (or bucatini or fettuccine)
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions (10ish minutes).

Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add pancetta. Cook 4-5 minutes or until it begins to brown and crisp. Add minced garlic, cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Mix eggs, cream, cheese, salt and pepper, and pancetta together in a bowl. Once pasta is cooked drain and keep off heat source. While stirring constantly, slowly add in the egg mixture. The heat from the pan and pasta will cook the eggs and the sauce will begin to thicken. Allow pasta to set up for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment